Winners of the EUROPEAN ALUMINIUM AWARD 2014
Published on: Tuesday 7 October 2014 on 22:00 hour
Winners of the EUROPEAN ALUMINIUM AWARD 2014 show the innovative strength of the sector!
From Automotive parts for trucks from the Leiber Group, a new production process from Daimler, the Sea Aquarium Copenhagen to a new Lighting System of Philips, all the winners of a EUROPEAN ALUMINIUM AWARD 2014 have demonstrated just how innovative and efficient the use of aluminium can be. The Young Talent Prize was awarded to Ehsan Aghdami from Germany for his innovative CATLIGHT design. GENOTHEK München won the Overall Jury Prize for the entry with the best contribution to Aluminium for Future Generations.
PUBLIC VOTE DESIGN & LIFESTYLE WINNER
Award winner Ben Hoek Meubelarchituur with his Pandora Sideboard was chosen by a PUBLIC VOTE. Of the 2.478 votes, 39,95 % were for Pandora Sideboard out of 8 nominated products chosen by the jury.
Two further products received a Special Prize and 5 an Honourable Mention from the jury.
In the framework of the International Trade Fair ALUMINIUM in Düsseldorf, the sector prize was awarded for the ninth time. The Awards were handed out on 7 October at the Award Gala during the International World Trade Fair ALUMINIUM 2014, which was held from 7 to 9 October at Messe Düsseldorf in Germany.
The independent International Jury is headed by Prof. Laurens Katgerman of Delft Technical University, with Vito Oražem, Managing Director of the Design Zentrum Nordrhein Westfalen, as vice chair. Other jury members come from Germany, England, Italy and Scandinavia.
In principle, the products must be designed for mass and serial production. For each category a selection committee compares the entries against the regulations. The nominated entries are then assessed by an independent jury. The winner of the EUROPEAN ALUMINIUM AWARD received a sculpture, made of aluminium, as well as a certificate.
OVERVIEW OF ALL WINNERS
5 Award winners 2014
- PHILIPS ONE SPACE LUMINOUS CEILING, PHILIPS (NL)
- THE BLUE PLANET- SEA AQUARIUM – COPENHAGEN, 3XN ARCHITECTS (DK) & NOVELIS (CH)
- TRUCK SUSPENSION BEAM REALISED IN A SPECIAL AL-ALLOY (ALUXTREM®), LEIBER GROUP (D)
- IN-LINE PROCESS CHAIN FOR THE PRODUCTION OF COMPLEX ALUMINIUM SHEET COMPONENTS , DAIMLER (D)
- PANDORA SIDEBOARD BEN HOEK MEUBELARCHITECTUUR (NL)
1 Young Talent Prize
- CATLIGHT, Ehsan Aghdami (D)
Overall Jury Prize
- GENOTHEK – MÜNCHEN – MAATSCHAP OBSERVATORIUM (NL) & GOVÉ (NL)
2 Special Prizes
- TNO SINPLEX SPACE PROJECT, ZOLLERN (D)
- PASUV ONLINE MEASURING OF THIN COATINGS ON ALUMINIUM COILS, NOVELIS (D) & UNIVERSITY LEIPZIG (D)
5 Honourable Mentions
- 3D DESIGN SURFACES, CONSTELLIUM (F)
- ALUMINIUM-BASED FUTURE FASHION WEDDING DRESS, AYSE BYZANZ (D)
- FREEDOM RADIATOR, JAGA (B)
- LINES OF GOLD - DEN BOSCH - GOUDEN SPOREN, SORBA PROJECTS (NL)
- MOTION COMPENSATED HELIDECK, BAYARDS ALUMINIUM CONSTRUCTIONS (NL)
This year a total of 83 products were entered in 6 different categories. In total 34 products were nominated for the Award in one of the 5 categories. The jury, chaired by Prof. Laurens Katgerman of the Delft University of Technology (NL), announced four Award winners in the categories Aerospace & Automotive, Production Techniques, Tools & Machinery, Lighting & Interior and Building & Architecture. The Award Design & Lifestyle was chosen by a PUBLIC VOTE out of 8 entries nominated by the jury.
The Young Talent Prize, aimed specifically at students and designers below the age of 30, was also awarded for the third time. On top of this, the jury awarded the Overall Jury Prize to the entry with the best contribution to Aluminium for Future Generations.
LARGER THAN EVER
The EUROPEAN ALUMINIUM AWARD is an initiative of the Dutch Aluminium Centre and is supported by the European Aluminium Association (EAA), the GDA - the German Aluminium Association - and ALUMINIUM 2014. Partner Associations IAI, AluCenter Belgium, Svenskt Aluminium, IAI and Alu Danmark are supporting this year’s edition for the first time. Leading companies like Ophardt Maritime and SMS are involved as sponsor of the competition.